11:20am

Fri October 14, 2011
Science/Health

Thousands Expected at "Race For The Cure" Activities

Thousands of runners, walkers, and onlookers are expected to turn downtown into a sea of pink tomorrow morning for the annual Race for the Cure Event. Mary Allison Belshoff is the Executive Director of the Lexington affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

"What was started by a group of women in 1996 has developed into an event that hosts close to 8,000 participants raising over a half million dollars to end breast cancer forever right here in central Kentucky."

Belshoff says the money raised tomorrow will help researchers and patients fight the disease.

"75% of all the funds go toward education and treatment, and then the other 25% of the funds go directly toward research. Actually the University of Kentucky has several research grants from Komen right now. 75% stays within Kentucky to help men and women beat breast cancer."

Activities include a timed 5k race, 5k and 1k non-competitive run/walks, and a survivors' parade. Everything gets under way at 8 tomorrow morning at the Centrepointe block.