At least according to the Jazz Journalists Association, which announced its JJA Jazz Award nominations this morning. Here's the complete list. Awards are given in a ceremony on June 11, 2011, which will also be streamed as a live video webcast.
The lion's share of the JJA Jazz Awards go to musicians for their accomplishments, but several media categories have been established too. (Ahem.) The six nominees for Photo of the Year can be seen in this embedded Flickr gallery:
In order, that's:
- Benny Powell, by Lena Adasheva
- Carla Bley, by John Watson
- Esperanza Spalding, by Andrea Canter
- Maceo Parker. by Bill King
- Sonny Rollins, by John Abbott
- Tom Harrell, by David Kawai
The JJA has also initiated a category called Short Form Video of the Year this go-round. You'll see a few short documentaries, and recognize a few viral (at least within jazz communities) funnies among these five nominees:
1. "Henry Threadgill: Playing It Unsafe," by Jeremy Robins, producer/director
2. "I Heart Jazz," by Alan Mezquida, producer/director
3. "Jazz Robots," by Joe Hundertmark, producer/director
4. "Sonny Rollins: Getting It Back Together," by Bret Primack, producer/director
5. "TK Blue: Latin Bird," by Brian Grady, producer/director
Finally, you'll notice A Blog Supreme is nominated for Blog of the Year. We're quite honored to even be considered, and in the larger picture, heartened that the JJA is taking an increasing interest in recognizing quality online journalism/coverage. Copyright 2011 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.