Disaster Unemployment Insurance Available

Mar 14, 2012

Kentuckians in the 21 counties who have lost work or whose businesses were damaged due to severe weather that occurred Feb. 29 – March 3 may be eligible for disaster unemployment assistance (DUA).The counties in which DUA is currently available are: Bath, Campbell, Carroll, Grant, Grayson, Kenton, Johnson, LaRue, Lawrence, Laurel, Magoffin, Martin, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan, Ohio, Pendleton, Rowan, Russell, Trimble and Wolfe. The deadline to apply is April 16.

Farmers and self-employed people who normally are ineligible for unemployment insurance benefits also may qualify for disaster unemployment assistance, according to the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training (OET), an agency of the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet.

All regular unemployment insurance benefits must be exhausted prior to receiving any disaster unemployment benefits, according to a state issued press release. Applications can be filed at local Kentucky Career Center offices. Go to http://www.oet.ky.gov/office/office.asp to find a list of local offices.

When filing a claim, self-employed individuals should bring a copy of their 2011 income tax return. Other applicants need only a photo-identification card and their Social Security number.

The DUA is funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Additional counties may be designated for federal disaster assistance at a later date if requested by the Commonwealth and warranted by the results of further damage assessments. For more information about this disaster, please go to www.kyem.ky.gov/currentdisasters and www.fema.gov.

OET, an agency of the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet, helps individuals prepare for, secure and maintain employment; assists employers in locating and selecting the best-qualified workers for their job openings; and provides income maintenance to ease the financial burden on individuals who are out of work through no fault of their own. For more information about its services, visit http://oet.ky.gov/.