Most Active Stories
A Blog Supreme
Around The Jazz Internet: May 20, 2011
By Patrick Jarenwattananon
More links on this blog's two-year anniversary:
- Great story about 106 Rivington, the dingy New York rehearsal studio which birthed a lot of great music. Via Daniel J. Wakin/The New York Times. Also in the Times, Ben Ratliff on jazz tribute projects in light of the Paul Motian band's Modern Jazz Quartet show, and on the Fats Waller Dance Party.
- The Bad Plus' Ethan Iverson interviews Lee Konitz for JazzTimes. Also, here's full video of The Bad Plus performing special arrangements with the HR Big Band.
- Saxophonists Chris Potter and Joe Lovano fulfill (separate) commissions to interpret minimalist visual artist Ellsworth Kelly's "Seine." Via Shaun Brady/Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Bassist Trevor Dunn on heavy metal. Interview by Hank Shteamer/Invisible Oranges.
- Lewis Porter debunks more jazz myths at the WBGO Blog.
- A few JD Allen stories on account of the saxophonist's new album dropping this week. Phil Freeman's interview at Burning Ambulance, Will Friedwald's story for the Wall Street Journal.
- Poet and saxophonist Roy Nathanson is profiled, via Larry Blumenfeld/Wall Street Journal. Also, poet Robert Pinsky on working with jazz musicians, in Slate.
- Four jazz composers on jazz composing. Via Peter Hum/jazzblog.ca.
- Fab 5 Freddy on jazz in early hip-hop, part two. At The Independent Ear.
- Rehearsing The Blues writes on the state of jazz criticism, and trying to provoke me. Meh.
- Ella Fitzgerald songs meet ... charts about rising and falling oil prices.
- Apocalyptic jazz songs for the weekend.
- All About Jazz has interviews and features with South African guitarist Derek Gripper and with keyboardist Chick Corea.
- Destination: Out features Matana Roberts.
- The Latin Jazz Corner continues to follow ongoing protests about the elimination of Latin jazz from the Grammy Awards.
- JazzWax has an interview with bossa nova singer Marcos Valle.
- The Jazz Session speaks with accordionist Victor Prieto, saxophonist TK Blue, and pianist George Cables.
- The Checkout features a studio session with Vijay Iyer's Tirtha, new duo music from Tom McDermott and Evan Christopher, plus an interview with James Carter about his collaboration with orchestral composer Roberto Sierra.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Dee Dee Bridgewater and Dianne Reeves remember Abbey Lincoln.
- Pianist Angelica Sanchez talks to and plays for Weekend Edition. (She also brings the toy piano.)
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz this week features the late James Moody.
- JazzSet this week airs sets from Danilo Perez and Poncho Sanchez.
- Jazz bassist Alan Hampton's singer-songwriter record is featured on Song of the Day.
Copyright 2011 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.