Most Active Stories
A Blog Supreme
Around The Jazz Internet: April 22, 2011
By Patrick Jarenwattananon
Happy Charles Mingus Birthday. Some links:
- Neil Tesser reports that Von Freeman will be named an NEA Jazz Master in the next (and last) class.
- A reprint of an interview with Frankie Dunlop, one-time drummer with Thelonious Monk. Via Todd Bishop, via Ethan Iverson.
- Hear Jason Moran and the Bandwagon's performance with Mary Halvorson and Alicia Hall Moran, recorded live at Other Minds Festival this March. (Registration required, but it's free.)
- Wynton Marsalis is about to start lecturing at Harvard. An interview.
- An interview with Mass. Governor Deval Patrick, which touches on his memories of his saxophone-playing absentee father Pat Patrick. Via Kam Williams/Tri-State Defender.
- George Colligan interviews Kerry Politzer, a pianist (and his wife!).
- RIP big band leader Orrin Tucker. Via Valerie J. Nelson/L.A. Times.
- A short interview with baritone saxophonist Hamiet Bluiett, via Deb Peterson/St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- More on the place of New York in jazz, from Nextbop. Also, Dan DiPiero.
- The Bad Plus is playing with Joshua Redman this week in New York. Hank Shteamer, Jim Macnie.
- The Monterey Jazz Festival and Undead Jazzfest announced their lineups this week.
- Jeff Goldblum scats, at Coachella. Who knew?
- Hear King Tut's trumpets.
- All About Jazz has interviews and features with bassists Michael Bisio and Jay Anderson.
- Destination: Out has more FMP goodies.
- JazzWax has a variety of features up.
- The Jazz Session speaks with pianist Matthew Shipp and saxophonist Darius Jones, plus saxophonist Noah Preminger.
- The Checkout speaks with Shane Endsley about The Music Band, Anthony Wilson about Campo Belo and Igmar Thomas about the big band tribute to rapper Guru.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- The Captain Black Big Band were smokin' on their visit to WBGO. Hear the Favorite Session.
- Weekend Edition's Liane Hansen spoke with Eldar last Sunday.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz this week features an archival session with Mercer Ellington.
- JazzSet this week airs a tribute to Ella Fitzgerald.
- Tom Moon reviews the new Gretchen Parlato album, especially the song "Still," for All Things Considered.
- Fresh Air's Kevin Whitehead reviews a lost-and-found recording from Tim Berne.
- WXQR's Q2 has crowdsourced a live streaming mix of 100 Composers Under 40. Some jazz names are there; have a listen.
Copyright 2011 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.